K2 Product Database Practices
The following governance rules are encouraged with regards to the K2 product database within SQL Server instance for K2 blackpearl:
- Only designated administrators should be granted access to the K2 product databases
- If custom databases are needed for a given solution they should be hosted on a different database instance or a different SQL Server than the K2 product databases
- The table structure of K2 product tables must not be modified
- Indexes and foreign keys on K2 product tables must not be modified
- Custom triggers and functions on K2 product tables are not allowed
- Custom .NET assemblies must not be added to the K2 product databases
- Stored procedures and views provided by K2 must not be modified
- The only schema within the K2 database that may be considered for direct read only access is the “ServerLog” schema
- Directly inserting, updating, or deleting data into K2 database tables outside of the API is not allowed
The SmartObject framework is an integral component within the K2 platform and is considered as essential in any K2 solution. There are a number of factors to consider when using SmartObjects and proper design and implementation are important cornerstones of a stable solution.
Learn more about SmartObjects
Metrics and reporting are important elements of K2 solutions. The K2 platform provides out of the box reports to provide visibility into business processes. It is also common to have to accommodate custom or complex reporting needs. Proper understanding of out of the box functionality as well as common design techniques can help developing a reporting strategy.
Learn more about reporting considerations