The K2 platform provides the ability to interact with K2 applications on mobile devices. The K2 mobility story falls into two categories:
- Mobile resident applications
- Mobile friendly forms development
This section covers these two areas in more detail and highlight content that can provide more specific technical details.
Mobile Resident K2 Applications
K2 offers mobile OS specific apps that are available for download directly onto to devices. K2 offers mobile apps for the following types of devices:
The K2 mobile applications are accessible via the respective public OS (Apple, Google, Windows…) app store.
The main purpose of these apps are to allow for interaction with workflow tasks. For example if a user is assigned a task within a K2 workflow, that user can open up the K2 mobile app on their smartphone or tablet and sync it with the K2 server. At that point the app will find all the tasks currently assigned to them and download the tasks to the device. The user can then interact with the embedded worklist within the K2 mobile app to view his currently assigned tasks. If the user wants to open a task, the mobile app will browse to the URL that is associated with that task to open that form. If there is no need to actually open the form, the application will permit the user to action the task with a decision without opening the form.
There is an exception to the online requirement for forms interaction within the K2 app. The iOS version of the K2 mobile app supports offline interaction. iOS natively has the ability to cache tasks as well as SmartForms definitions and data. This permits them to be leveraged on the iOS device even if offline. In order to leverage this correctly the SmartForm has to be designed appropriately within K2 SmartForms.
Mobile Friendly Forms Development
Mobile friendly forms within the K2 solution space are based upon K2 SmartForms. K2 has invested in expanding the feature set of the K2 SmartForms tooling. In addition to standard (non-mobile specific) UI functionality, there are a number of items introduced in newer versions of K2 focused upon enhancing the mobile experience:
- Responsive theme – The “Lithium” theme allows K2 forms to assess the form-factor (PC / tablet / phone) on which it is currently being viewed and will auto adjust controls and layout to better accommodate the screen size of that device. Keep in mind that with this responsive theme there still is a need by the form developer to plan for the user experience. For example, if a form needs to interact with large volumes of data, and the primary user base for that form will be a small, form-factor mobile device, considerations should be given during the UI design phase to how to best construct this experience. In this example, it may be worthwhile to split the form into multiple, smaller forms and or tabs.
- Application Forms* - are forms that surface in K2 Mobile and would typically be used to capture data, start a workflow, or be used for reporting purposes. These forms are not necessarily workflow task related.
- Offline Forms* - Offline forms allow for data caching. These forms can be accessed and actioned in K2 Mobile while not connected, either by the internet or cellular data. If K2 Mobile is offline and the user submits a SmartForm, or actions a task, the SmartForm will be moved to the Outbox thereby actioning the item offline. When K2 Mobile is connected again, the SmartForm will automatically be actioned or submitted.
* Both Application Forms and Offline Forms are only currently available within the iOS K2 Mobile application. For more details on how to use Application and Offline forms please reference the product help content.
Please refer to the below items for more details around K2’s mobility options: